Monday, 7 November 2011

Asian Coleslaw

If there’s one thing that cakers are most accused of doing, it’s bastardizing other cultures.

Cakers slap spaghetti sauce on an english muffin and call it “pizza.” We open up a can of pineapple to make something “Hawaiian.” We top a casserole with Doritos and suddenly, it’s Mexican fiesta time.

In this week’s recipe, we add Mr. Noodles to cole slaw to make it "Asian."

Look, I’m not saying any of this is right, but at least cakers are joining hands with the world in celebration of the cultural mosaic that unites us all.


Sort of.

OK, maybe not.

On a side note, did you know a package of Mr. Noodles cost 38 cents? When was the last time you bought anything for 38 cents?

2 packages Mr. Noodles, chicken flavour
1 package cole slaw mix
½ cup green pepper, chopped
3-4 green onions, chopped
½ cup slivered almonds, toasted
1 cup sunflower seeds

Dressing:
¾ cup oil
1/3 cup white vinegar
½ cup sugar
2 packages soup base mix from Mr. Noodles

Mix dressing ingredients. In a large bowl, crush the Mr. Noodles in hands. Add the rest of the ingredients except for sunflower seeds. Pour over dressing and let marinade for several hours. Toss in sunflower seeds before serving.

Source: recipe card (I realize that the typo in "Asian" doesn't help that whole "joining hands/cultural mosaic" thing.)

6 comments:

  1. I hadn't thought I was caker until this moment! I didn't grow up with this one, but my health-food-oriented mom discovered ti about 20 years ago, and still takes it to the many pot-lucks in her life. She calls it "Oodle Salad."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hold on a second. Your "health-food-oriented" mom has been making this for the past 20 years?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ate this last week. Perhaps I should feel shame, but instead, I feel pride in the inventiveness of my people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this salad (minus the almonds)! It's at every potluck I attend and a favorite dish of my mother-in-law's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this salad! My recipe has 1 package of Mr.Noodles for 1 package of coleslaw (dressing recipe is similar but basically cut in half with only 1 seasoning packet). We always toss with dressing immediately before serving, so the noodles are crunchy instead of soggy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's surprisingly tasty, although the fact that you don't cook the noodles disturbs me a bit. I know they're partially cooked, but it's still a little weird.

      Delete