Monday 22 October 2012

Cabbage Roll Casserole



Good lord, cabbage stinks. I don’t care if it’s fried, pickled or boiled, the only thing more heinous than the smell of cabbage is the labour that goes into making cabbage rolls. Don’t get me wrong – I love cabbage rolls just as much as the next caker.  But I’m a busy person. I have cereal box mazes to complete and artificial ferns to dust and jazzercise class once a month, etcetera, etcetera.  I’m lucky if I find the time to celebrate the moments of my life with a cup of General Foods International Coffee Sugar-Free Suisse Mocha.

That’s why this casserole is a godsend for cakers like me. It combines all the taste of cabbage rolls with absolutely none of the work. (If you’re feeling a little too lazy, you can toss in a toothpick or two so your guests have something to accidentally pierce their upper palates with.)

I made this for my mom awhile back and she raved about it. (Of course, this is also a woman who has pepper in her shaker that’s older than me.) Serve with a dollop of sour cream and you’re in cabbage roll heaven. Just leave the windows open.

1 pound ground beef
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1 chopped onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
3 tablespoons rice
1 10 ounce can tomato soup
1 can water
3 cups coarsely chopped cabbage

In large frying pan, sear beef in oil 1 minute. Add onion, seasonings and rice. Saute 2 to 3 minutes. Add soup and water. Mix well. Turn cabbage into greased casserole. Pour meat mixture over cabbage. Do not stir. Bake covered for 1½ hours at 325º.


Source: 3H Club 1969 Cookbook

11 comments:

  1. Just give me a big spoon and I would take that casserole to town. I wouldn't even need a plate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mimi, not only would you take it to town, you might decide to go "parking" with it. It's that good.

      Delete
  2. Recently paid homage to cakers with Broccoli Casserole and Green Pie courtesy of the West Flamboro Presbyterian recipe collection. Check out the results at
    http://www.brainmeetskeys.com/
    Felt very self concious at the grocery store with all the processed food in the cart.
    Love the blog. Wonderful concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I think you did a great job with those dishes. I don't think I've ever seen Green Pie before. Why oh why don't cakers make their recipes sound more appetizing? It's like we kick ourselves before the food even gets to the table. Thanks for your shout-out - and no need to feel self conscious at the grocery store. The cashiers are probably thinking, "Damn. I want to be at her house for dinner tonight."

      Delete
  3. I was thinking about stuffed cabbage the other day, then I thought of all the work! This is so much better. I mean, after you chew it and all, who cares what is started out looking like. BTW, I purchased "Natural Order," for the library I work at. You are now represented on Maui.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, fifilaru. I guess if I can't make it to Maui, having my book there is the next best thing. As far as caring what things look like, my dad always used to say, "It all goes to the same place." He was a poet in many ways.

      Delete
  4. OMG. After I read the comment about the Suisse-Mocha, I was *immediately* transported back in time. I used to LOVE that stuff! I still remember the smell, the texture of the powder and the taste .. that odd, tinny, sweet watery taste - even the feel of opening the lid on the can. Thanks for the blast from the past! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're more than welcome, Jane. Do they still even make General Foods International Coffee? They were the height of extravagance back in the day. The flavours! The sophistication! Those reusable tins! I hope you checked out the link to the commercial. Classic.

      Delete
  5. My parents still make this. I think I remember the day my mom discovered you didn't have to roll the suckers. It was a pretty good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clare, the day that any caker discovers a short cut in a recipe is a pretty good day. Although I did try making actual cabbage rolls once. They ended up looking like mutant porcupines with all the toothpicks I had to stick in them. Thanks to this recipe, I'm a much happier person now. And I have more time on my hands to do more important things. Like watching Golden Girls reruns.

      Delete
  6. Goodness. I was confused because I thought that was a photo of apple crisp!

    ReplyDelete