Monday 14 April 2014

Marg's Cuban Lunch



Along with its elegance and refinement, caker cooking is often considered one of the world’s most mysterious cuisines. There are so many unanswered questions. For example, who discovered that soda crackers taste like Skor Bars? Or that Ritz crackers taste like apples? Or that a marshmallow and a Pilsbury crescent roll were good representations of Christ's resurrection?

Sometimes, the mystery rests not in the ingredients, but in the name. I had no idea what a “Cuban Lunch” was, let alone Marg’s connection to it. So I called my friends at Dateline NBC to do a little investigative work. Turns out Cuban Lunch used to be the name of a chocolate bar. As to Marg, Stone Philips told me that her identity remains shrouded in mystery. The people in Outlook, Saskatchewan were tight-lipped. Who is this Marg? And why do I picture her smoking cigars?

Anyways, these are perfect when you’re faced with that that sweet-or-salty dilemma. That’s because they have potato chips and chocolate. Be warned though: butterscotch chips are a little potent. I had an Italian complaining for three days that the house smelled of maple.

1 package butterscotch chips
1 package peanut butter chips
1 package chocolate chips
1 ½ cups crushed ripple potato chips
1 ½ cups nuts

Melt all of the packages of chips together on low heat. Add in the potato chips and nuts. Spoon into small paper cups and cool.



Source: With Hearts That Care and Hands That Serve, Outlook, Saskatchewan


19 comments:

  1. Hooo, that sounds like...something I need to try. Crushed potato chips in chocolate? Sign me up.

    Although that name. Is it me, or does "Cuban Lunch" sound like one of those terms you really shouldn't use in mixed company?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm more concerned about the singular name. I mean, there are multiple items. So these should be called Cuban Lunches, right? I've been tossing and turning all night about this.

      Delete
  2. I've tried chocolate covered potato chips, and they were really good. Hubby is working on the taxes, maybe I'll make him a little snack to help him get through it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should be so lucky. I just finished my taxes and the only thing I got was a kick in the behind.

      Delete
    2. Wow ! That is some Cuban Lunch! I used to each " Cuban Lunch" chocolate bars back in the day. They were just chocolate with peanuts and you could purchase them in the Five and Dime, or the drugstore. I bet the USA has never had a Cuban Lunch chocolate bar. ;)

      Delete
    3. So there were no potato chips in a Cuban Lunch chocolate bar? Maybe that's the Marg factor.

      Delete
  3. I wish that more things smelled like maple.
    Well, it was always disconcerting when NYC would randomly smell like maple syrup.
    True story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hold on. You're saying NYC smelled like maple syrup? What's that all about?

      Delete
  4. I seem to remember these Cuban Lunches being very popular in Saskatchewan back in the 1970s and lo and behold your cookbook is from Outlook and the cover looks suspiciously "70s-ish". I'm going to make some of these, stat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should. They're pretty tasty. And packed with vitamins!
      Hmm. Now I'm wondering if these are specific to the prairies. Anyone out there remember Cuban Lunch chocolate bars in Ontario or other parts of Canada?

      Delete
    2. I'm a British Columbian and as I mentioned, we had our Cuban Lunch chocolate bars- sans potato chips! Ontario - where is that?

      Delete
    3. I grew up on them here in Calgary. I think they were made by Lowney's - the same people who brought us Cherry Blossoms.

      Delete
    4. Bulk Barn still sells Cherry Blossoms. I can't tell what I liked more - the cherry blossom or the mini cardboard box it came in.

      Delete
  5. I had A flash back from my past I remembered as a child I remembered eating a Cuban Lunch chocolate bar, after my husband remembered what came after Cuban was Lunch. I searched the internet until I found someone posted on Yahoo , she found the Cuban Lunch chocolate bar was made by Pauline from Winnipeg I believe the Cuban Lunch candy bar was made there. The rest is history. I know I can't find one anywhere in Canada at least I haven't found one website that does:(:(:(:(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Brian Francis, I grew up in Alberta and yes I do remember eating a Cuban Lunch chocolate candy bar. I stated in a previous post the Cuban Lunch was made by Pauline from Winnipeg as I found it on a Yahoo website post. The lady that posted on the Yahoo website found the info on Wikipedia .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...I can't help but wonder if Pauline and Marg are the same person. The Cuban Lunch plot thickens...

      Delete
  7. 1 package for the ingredients. Any specific as to the size?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You mention 1 package each of the 'chip' ingredients. Any specific as to the size?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori. I bought the standard size of chocolate and butterscotch chips at the grocery store. So long as you don't get a Costco sized package, you should be fine. Happy Cuban Lunching!

      Delete