Thursday 18 November 2021

Paper Bag Holiday Cards

Bazaars may be cancelled for another year, but I’m keeping the spirit alive with bazaar crafts and classic recipes all month long!

When did greeting cards get so expensive? The other day, I was buying a Get Well Soon card for myself and it was almost seven dollars! It wasn’t even one of those musical ones that play “Roll Out the Barrel.” Sorry, Hallmark, but your prices are making me “return to sender.” LOL!


So when I saw the idea for stationary made from paper grocery bags in my 1976 copy of “Woman’s Day: Best Ideas for Christmas” magazine, I thought, “Signed, sealed, delivered, I’m yours.” Besides, what says “I care (and I also have a lot of paper bags)" more than a handmade holiday card? 


This looks like a space ship. But it's the envelope pattern.

At first, I was a bit nervous as the instructions said to iron the paper bags to get the creases out. I didn't want to burn my house down. But then I remembered I once made Paper Bag Apple Pie and survived. So I figured it was safe.


These can be a bit complicated in terms of the measurements. As someone who failed Grade 10 math, I’m not ashamed to admit there were some tense moments while making the envelopes. But I persevered. A little rum and eggnog helped, too. 


This has that minimalistic look. I wouldn't recommend it.

For the cards, cut them out and then fold over the long edge. Decorate the cards with a gay ribbon or some leftover Christmas wrapping paper. I also accented my envelopes to match my cards. And look at these professional results!



No doubt these cards will be tear-stained as soon as they’re opened by my family and friends. “That Brian,” I can just hear them sighing. “So thoughtful. And so darn cheap.


I only made five as that's how many friends I have.

The best thing about these handmade cards is that you can personalize them with a message that’s unique to the receiver. No more of that generic “Wishing you the best of the season” crap. Now you can really tell someone how you feel. And isn’t that what the holidays are about? 








For my recipe pairing this week, I’m sticking with the paper bag colour scheme and serving up the recipe for Eggnog Dessert. Yes, it looks like a giant blister. But that shouldn’t stop you from “popping” it into your mouth. Get the recipe here. And speaking of eggnog, check out the massive Eggnog Taste Test I did last year.

 


We have one more week to go! What will be my final bazaar craft? Here’s a hint: I guarantee this craft will have you “flying high.”












Craft Source: Woman's Day Best Ideas for Christmas

4 comments:

  1. Those are pretty cute! And I like the personalized messages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's that personal touch that can make all the difference during the holiday season.

      Delete
  2. Oh-- also thought you would appreciate knowing that your '70s craft posts reminded me that I used to love Li'l Missy beaded doll kits that I picked up at garage sales when whoever originally bought them gave up on the thought of making them. I thought they were so beautiful! And now I have been moved by your displays to pick some up on eBay so I can have myself a kitschy holiday. You are making a difference in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very glad to hear that! eBay is a goldmine for all kitschy things from the past. I'm usually on there Friday nights, wine in hand, Lawrence Welk on the television, searching for retro cookie cutters.

      Delete