Sunday 29 May 2011

Caker FAQs

To answer some of the questions that…well, no one has asked yet, I’ve put together the following list for quick reference.

What’s a “caker?”
In short, an Anglo-Saxon who cooks with Cheez Whiz, Cream of Mushroom soup and Cool Whip. The word “caker” is a short form of “mangicake,” a term coined by Italians. For my personal caker journey, click here.

Am I a caker?
That depends. Did you grow up throwing spaghetti against a wall to check if it was done? Were most of your meals served in a single dish? Was JELL-O considered a vegetable? If “yes,” welcome to the club. You’re a caker.

What’s the difference between caker and white trash cooking?
Caker cooking seems to be uniquely Canadian. White trash cooking is American. White trash cooking is about cheapness. Caker cooking is more about convenience.  White trash cooking takes pleasure in its garishness whereas caker cooking is more dignified. Bottom line is that you’ll never see a crown roast made of hot dog wieners on this blog.

Are the recipes any good?
Let me put it this way - most of the recipes I post come from small communities. Whoever submits the recipe includes his or her name. Usually, this person is a woman. If this woman submits a crappy recipe that wastes the time and money of her friends, co-workers and fellow church goers, well, just watch her try to find a Bridge partner the next time she needs one.

Where do you get your recipes?
I’ve been collecting cookbooks and recipes over the years. I’ll always post the source of the recipe and an image of the cookbook cover if I have it. Many of the recipes you see are from church cookbooks. That’s not to say all church cooking is caker cooking. I’ve simply pulled the best caker recipes from them.

How often do you post new recipes?
Every Monday, come hell or high cholesterol.

What makes a recipe a "caker" recipe?
1) A “magic” ingredient. We cakers love to think we’ve discovered some sort of short cut. Usually, this short cut requires a can opener.
2)   Ease. The recipe has to have as few steps and as few ingredients as possible.
3)   Frugality. There’s nothing more wasteful than spending good money on food.


11 comments:

  1. I am happy to now know what a caker is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. enjoyed your spot on CBC today and COMPLETELY connected with growing up in the 70's eating tuna casserole(which included a can of mushroom soup, of course!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have a recipe for Tuna Casserole on the blog. Just do a search under "Casseroles." It doesn't have noodles, though, which seemed to be an issue for some people. I guess when it comes to Tuna Casseroles, you're either a noodler or a non-noodler.

      Delete
  3. Caught your spot with Shelagh Rogers this afternoon and was totally enchanted. I loved tomato soup cake as a kid. Also used to make tuna in toast cups when i wanted to be fancy. Haven't been able to go through your entire blog yet to see if you have the recipe, but if not, I believe the recipe including canned tuna, canned peas and cream of mushroom soup meets the criteria for caker food. And it/s yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yvette. I don't have the recipe on here, but I've seen it in a number of my cookbooks. I did make eggs in bread cups. If you look under the "egg" label, you'll find it. Feel free to share your recipe anytime. I'd be happy to give it a whirl. I've never met a can of tuna or peas that I didn't like.

      Delete
  4. Brian,
    many thanks for your labor of (obvious) love on this theme. I would like to add that no tomato soup cake is complete without some kick-ass icing created by creaming a package of cream cheese with a cup of icing sugar (or maybe two cups, what the heck) and a few drops of Mapleine or another artificial maple flavor.
    I'll have to try Vera's and Gwen's recipes soon. Great interview on CBC.
    Will Johnston

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Will. It's hard to go wrong with a layer of cream cheese icing on just about anything.

      Delete
  5. I grew up in the States and have spent thirty frugal years in Canada. I have felt rather badly that my children look down their nose at the way I cook but now, I have a historical context behind it. I'm a Caker/White trash cook and proud of it. Think I'll go make some fried chicken (coated in ground up potato chips) and Cola Cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm proud of you. Save a piece of that Cola Cake for me. And here's hoping that someday, your children develop a refined palate like their mother.

      Delete
  6. Enjoyed the CBC interview yesterday (not sure if it was a repeat). Loved your definition of a caker. I grew up on wholesome food, but with the odd bit of ketchup, sandwich spread, Kraft mayonnaise etc, so I guess I'm a caker. Thanks for the entertaining dialog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lorraine. Sandwich spread makes life taste better.

      Delete