Tuesday 6 November 2012

Cheerio Chews



Oh, glorious November! The leaves have been stripped from the trees, it’s dark by 5pm and I’m in track pants thanks to the mini Coffee Crisps left over from Halloween. If there’s one bright spot in all this gloom and despair, it’s that November is also the month for church Christmas bazaars.

If you haven’t been to a church bazaar, I feel sorry for you because they’re great. A bazaar is like a garage sale, bakery, coffee shop, Danielle Steel paperback store and macramé convention all rolled into one. Every Saturday morning for the next few weeks, you’ll find me in a church basement, asking a senior woman wearing a beaded eyeglass string, “Do these knitted slippers come in monochromatic colours?” 

I guarantee you’ll find these delicious Cheerio Chews on a bazaar bake table, alongside chocolate haystacks, mini butter tarts and shortbread cookies with bits of maraschino cherries on top. And because these chews have Cheerios in them, they help fight cholesterol. So they’re healthy. And while we're on the subject of lies, Coffee Crisp prevents cancer.

½ package caramels (24)
2 tablespoons water

Melt in double boiler. Add ¼ cup peanut butter and stir until mixed together. Remove from heat and add 1 ½ cups Cheerios. Drop by teaspoon on waxed paper (See note 1). Put M&M candy in centre (See note 2).

Special thanks to master chefs, Adam and Justin, for helping me make these!

Note 1: These are pretty sticky, so there may be some pieces of waxed paper on the bottom. Don't worry about ingesting it. Waxed paper passes pretty easily. Trust me on this one.

Note 2: I didn't.

Source: Handwritten recipe card
This is my mother’s handwriting. Apparently, she thinks those little round things are called "cherrios."




6 comments:

  1. Well! Another one of your recipes that I'll have to try, although I'll have to find someone willing to unwrap half a bag of caramels for me.
    Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Or maybe I'll just look for a church bazaar and see if I can buy some.
    I would imagine that shreds of waxed paper would be the only fiber a Caker would ever ingest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait a minute. You're supposed to unwrap the caramels?

      Delete
  2. OMG, you are bang-on about those church bazaars! You described them perfectly. There is also usually a nice shoebox lid filled with costume jewellery. When I was a kid I bought a necklace that I wore to pretend I was Mighty Isis (do you remember that show? "Oh....Mighty Is...Is...Isis!"). And it's a funny thing about those slippers. My husband's Oma always made them in these crazy colour combinations. I have pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim! My only issue with those knit slippers is they're serious health hazards. I mean, there you are, zipping along on the linoleum kitchen floor to take the casserole out of the oven and the next thing - BAM! You're flat on your caker ass.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. You should! They're the perfect combination: tasty and easy.

      Delete