Monday 19 November 2012

Twinkie Cake

I photographed this from the bottom to showcase all the Twinkie goodness.























We interrupt “Stuff Made with Cereal” month (again) with a special news bulletin.

Last week, there was some very distressing news for cakers across North America when Hostess announced it’s going out of business.

Needless to say, the possibility of living in a Twinkie-less world scares the crap out of me, so I had no other choice but to clear out my local grocery store in preparation for Twinkie Armageddon. (If anyone’s interested, I’ve got a garage full of them and they’re ten twenty fifty one hundred bucks a box. Firm.)

This delectable Twinkie Cake comes from Caker Cooking reader Bob. Bob's responsible for providing me the recipes for such delicacies as Tang Pie and Tater Tot Casserole. It seemed only fitting to post Bob's Twinkie Cake this week. Will this be the last time anyone ever makes a Twinkie cake? Is this really a sign that the Mayan calendar is right? Only time will tell. In the meantime, eat. For the love of god, hurry up and EAT!!!

Thanks, Bob!

1 box Twinkies
1 can crushed pineapple
Bananas (sliced)
1 instant vanilla pudding (made according to package directions)
1 Cool Whip

Slice each Twinkie in half (down through the middle). Line 9x13 pan with Twinkies. Cover Twinkies with sliced bananas. Put pineapple on top of bananas. Spread pudding on top of pineapple. Top with Cool Whip. Chill.



Source: Cooking with Good Judgment

9 comments:

  1. The title Cooking with Good Judgement makes me laugh out loud....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hands down the best cookbook title I've come across.

      Delete
  2. "Cooking With Good Judgment" - wow! what at title! I can't get over what Twinkies are selling for on eBay. It's cray-cray. And it makes me wish I'd bought a case to sell quite honestly. I've never liked them and think that they taste like chemicals but that recipe makes them sound like they might actually be edible with pudding and pineapple. But wow, at the going rate...that would be one expensive recipe! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eartha, you should give this recipe a whirl. It's delicious. Like a poor man's trifle. Or is that a "rich man's trifle" now in light of everything?

      Delete
  3. Well, that looks...interesting. How did it taste?
    I hope this is the only recipe I send you where the main ingredient becomes discontinued. I'd hate to imagine a world without Velveeta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It tasted pretty darn good, Veg-o-matic. You have to let it chill for at least 24 hours. It gets better with age, like most caker food. The bananas turn a little grey, but it's not like either one of us should be bothered by grey food. A Velveeta-less world would be a bleak one, my friend. No sun shining. No birds singing. No Golden Girls reruns. Let's pray it never happens.

      Delete
  4. Darn, I would love to have made this for Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fifilaru, I don't know why you'd want to deny yourself this simply because Thanksgiving has come and gone. I think Twinkie Cake should be enjoyed at all of life's celebrations, including birthdays, communions and Real Housewives of New Jersey marathons.

      Delete
  5. I'm not quite sure that this is "Cooking with Good Judgement".

    ReplyDelete