Friday 28 June 2013

Reader Recipe: McPhail Cake



You know, since all the brouhaha of February’s Reader Month, I haven’t posted any reader recipes. And that’s just not right. After all, if you can’t share some saturated fat between friends, what’s the point in spending five minutes making it in the first place?

Some of you may recall that lemon has always left me a bit sour – that is, until I made Lemon Fluff. So when Caker Cooking reader Doug sent me his mother’s recipe for a lemon creation called McPhail Cake (named after a family friend), I thought I’d give it whirl.

It should come as no surprise that McPhail was a McSuccess. It was moist, dense and had me puckering in all the right places. The only thing that wasn’t a McSuccess? My McBundt. I didn’t grease the pan enough, so the cake came out looking like the surface of the moon. Lesson learned: butta your Bundt.

If you have a recipe you’d like to share, email cakercooking at gmail dot com and I’ll do my best to feature it.

Thanks, Doug!

1 Duncan Hines Lemon Supreme cake mix
1 package vanilla instant pudding
1 cup milk
1/2 cup liquid shortening

Mix, and add 4 eggs one at a time.  Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.  Cool on a rack, turn out on a plate and top with a glaze of 2/3 cup icing sugar and 2 tablespoons lemon juice.


This is the recipe written out in Doug's mom's handwriting. In his words:  "For me, the stained, yellowing, handwritten recipe card is part of the caker experience."

Doug, I say "Amen" to that.

4 comments:

  1. Yummeh!

    Why is it that women from the 50's and 60's all had the same handwriting? This could have been written by my mother.

    Happy long weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt about it, Kathy. Those women knew the art of good handwriting - even if it all looked the same. My mom's handwriting is no different. Happy long weekend to you, too!

      Delete
  2. Butter and lightly flour your Bundt pan is the true path to success - but maybe that's too much work for a Caker? While I agree that part of the Caker Experience is the handwritten recipe card - hey I have some I created myself - the real tip off is " 1/2 cup of liquid shortening." Oh yeah, let's get some grease going on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the liquid shortening and a non-stick Bundt pan would prevent any sticking. But no dice. Oh, well. Next time, I'm going to slather the pan with bacon drippings.

      Delete