Monday 18 November 2013

Reader Recipe: Snicker Doodle Cake



On Christmas Eve, caker children around the world wait for the arrival of Mr. Snicker Doodle, a kindly old elf in polyester pants and snap-on sunglasses who leaves treats like powdered cheese, pipe cleaners and Eggs in Bologna Cups. In return, children leave him Snicker Doodle Cake and a mickey of Captain Morgan rum.

Okay, I made that up. There’s no Mr. Snicker Doodle. But thankfully, there is Snicker Doodle Cake, named after, oh, who the hell knows? Truthfully, I’d forgotten all about it until Caker Cooking reader and fellow blogger Debra emailed me her mother’s typed recipe, along with some of her own adjustments. I made the original, but I’m sure Debra’s revised version is just as good.

Warning: It looks simple enough but Snicker Doodle Cake is addictive. As in it should be renamed Heroin Doodle Cake. Only that’s not as easy to say.

Thanks, Debra! Do YOU have a caker recipe you want to share? Just email it to cakercooking at gmail dot com.

1 cup flour
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon cinnamon
pinch salt
Combine and add to this mixture:
1 egg beaten in ½ cup milk
Mix very well and add ½ cup melted butter and mix again well.
Put in greased and floured 8 x 8 pan and sprinkle with granulated sugar before baking. Serve hot or cold.

Note: Debra suggested baking at 350° for 40 minutes which worked out great.


Source: Caker Debra. Check out her blog, My Immaculate Convection.
















Hey! Don’t forget to visit the second wacky week of Bazaar-o-Rama by clicking here.

4 comments:

  1. I'm always disappointed with snicker doodle's. To me the name suggests they are something like a Snickers bar with peanuts, nugget and chocolate.

    You got me thinking about the origin of the name and came up with the following. Apparently Mr Snicker Doodle has a book and hangs out with Yankee Doodle and Polly Wolly Doodle.

    https://www.forewordreviews.com/reviews/snickerdoodle/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Polly, I can always count on you for some 48-hours investigative research. I can honestly say that I've never read "Snickerdoodle: A Tall Tale About a Powerfful Pee-Wee" and chances are, I never will. But thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  2. What about the topping with the (not thick, not runny) butter & brown sugar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You raise a good point, Stephanie. The handwritten comments were Debra's modifications to the original recipe. I opted for plain sugar, but should you opt for a butter, brown sugar (thick not runny) topping, I'm sure it'll turn out just as delicious.

      Delete