Monday 10 November 2014

Orange Cottage Cheese Salad



I don’t know what Sunday dinners were like with your family, but in my caker household, they were pretty special. My mom would put away her casserole dish, slip on an apron, boil herself a cup of Nescafé and spend the afternoon actually making a meal. It took us awhile to understand the concept of passing different dishes around the table. Sometimes, my sisters would cry and complain that it hurt their arms. I guess that explains why caker forearms are so underdeveloped.

Usually, our Sunday meal included coleslaw (we were a creamy kind family), roast beef (sprinkled with Lipton onion soup mix), mashed padaydas (which had about as much flavour as air), canned corn and store-bought white dinner buns. Usually, there was a salad because my mom was concerned about our vitamin intake. This Orange Cottage Cheese Salad was pretty popular with us. (Hello?!? It has Cool Whip.)

There’s something about the soft, squishy bits of cottage cheese, artfully blended with the Cool Whip, that really does it for me. And talk about colour! Why, the only thing as pastel-pretty as this salad is its green sister, Watergate Salad. Never make me choose between them.

1 pound cottage cheese (see note)
1 package (3 ounces) orange JELL-O
14-ounce tin of pineapple chunks
10-ounce tin of mandarin oranges
1 tub Cool Whip

Sprinkle JELL-O over cottage cheese and stir. Drain pineapple and mandarin. Add to cottage cheese mixture. Fold in Cool Whip. Chill and serve.

Note: I just bought a big tub.

Hey! I smell turkey pies! That can only mean one thing – bazaar season is upon us. Join me for Bazaar-o-Rama starting this Friday. I travel around to bazaars throughout the month and post all the crap treasures I find. Needless to say, it’s pretty exciting.


Source: Favourite Recipes from Skudesnes Lutheran

9 comments:

  1. When I saw your photo of Orange Cottage Cheese Salad I thought it was an orange meringue and you'd lost the plot! Phew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good lord! I can't even spell mer-ange, let alone make it.

      Delete
  2. I took the husband and kid to a Christmas bazaar at the Lutheran church Saturday. They were horrified. Your name came up quite a bit as we were tempted by wine bottles flattened in a kiln (to be used as a cheese board), wood-burned plaques, and rice krispy treats wrapped in coloured cling film. Didn't buy anything, but bazaar season is still young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hang tight. There's a jar of bottled beets with your name on it. And a pair of knit slippers with pom-poms. Happy bazaaring!

      Delete
  3. I'm English & I have learned so much from your blog.
    Not least that "Casserole" & "Salad" can mean things far beyond my understanding of the terms. Things way beyond my experience, imagining or comprehension.
    You have taken me far out of my comfort zone on a discombobulating, troubling & yet, stangely exciting voyage.
    Brian you have BLOWN MY MIND.
    How can I ever thank you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can thank me by spreading the good caker word. Let your people know that salad isn't lettuce. Salad is Cool Whip and canned fruit and marshmallows. And it tastes way better than all that leafy green shit.

      Delete
  4. I'm sure this is good, but it can't possibly hold a candle (salad) to Watergate Salad, which has to be the pinnacle of Caker cuisine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watergate is a classic, no doubt. But between you, me and the caker fencepost, I think I like this one a little better. It's the cottage cheese. Adds that little bit of caker edge.

      Delete