Monday 17 November 2014

Popcorn Candy Cake



Call me a fuddy-duddy caker, but I bypass the microwave and cook my popcorn the old-fashioned way. First, I put on my petticoat, then I grow the corn, gather it in my apron, dry it and pop it on the woodstove. Pa and I usually do a jig before settling down to a bowl while the kids play with dolls made of sticks and mud.

As much as I enjoy popcorn (pronounced “pup-corn” in certain caker circles), I’m not sure that using it for a cake makes a lot of sense. Mainly because the unpopped kernels can play psychological warfare with you. Is that a peanut? Or a kernel? All I can say is keep your dentist on speed dial and nibble like a squirrel.

In spite of dental dangers, this cake was pretty good, although a little chewy. And I could've done without the gumdrops. Or jujubes. Are they the same thing? I get confused. Anyways, I made it in an angel food pan. If you do the same, don’t soak it in water like the recipe says or else the water will seep through the bottom and you’ll end up with something that looks like a mountain of wet Kleenexes. And that can be a hard one to sell to dinner guests.

1 16-oz package miniature marshmallows
¾ cup vegetable oil
½ cup butter or margarine
5 quarts popped popcorn (about 20 cups)
24 ounces gumdrops
1 cup salted peanuts

In pot, melt marshmallows, oil and butter. Stir until smooth. Set aside. In large bowl, combine popcorn, gumdrops and peanuts. Add marshmallow mixture and mix well. Press into 10” tube pan. Cover and refrigerate for at least 5 hours. To unmold, dip pan in hot water for 5-10 seconds.

Hey! Have you checked out Bazaar-o-Rama 14? If not, what are you waiting for?


Source: Decidedly Delicious Desserts (I can’t find the cover for this one. It’s somewhere. I think.)

6 comments:

  1. What is the caker fascination with gumdrops? Are they supposed to be a less expensive alternative to candied fruit?

    Anyway, this would be lovely if you mounded them into Christmas tree shapes and added some candles for a table decoration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My god, Goody. You're a genius! I'm going to have to try that for my upcoming Caker Christmas TV special.

      Delete
    2. Just don't make candle salads out of them. 0.o

      Brian, I'm just glad you still have all your fillings, between the "old maids" and the Jujubees!

      Martine :)

      Delete
    3. Martine, let's just say my dentist has me to thank for his new sports car.

      Delete
  2. Gumdrops are much more tasty then dried fruits, if dried fruits can ever be tasty. Not sure about the vegetable oil though. And then with my dentures and all. I might have to give this recipe a pass. sigh. Just my 2 cents, but I think gumdrops are less chewy and more yummy than jujubes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gumdrops are the ones covered in sugar, right? I never seem to find them.
      There is a lot of vegetable oil in this, but I figured that was okay because it counts as a vegetable.

      Delete