Monday 26 August 2013

Eggs in Bologna Cups

Banana optional


Everywhere I go these days, I smell erasers and terror. That can only mean one thing – another school year is around the corner. This week, I'm posting a kid-friendly recipe because it’s never too early to teach kids the fine art of caker cooking. After all, if our traditions fall away, what will happen to all those employees at Kraft?

I took this recipe from a cookbook I had as a kid, Betty Crocker’s Cookbook for Gay Boys & Girls. Yes, I still own the original and have the booger-crusted pages to prove it. How many Saturday nights did I spend slaving over these recipes while other kids were out having normal childhoods? Lots, I tell you.

These Eggs in Bologna Cups would be a welcome treat for any kid coming home for lunch after an intense morning of colouring maps of the western hemisphere. And talk about nutrition! Each serving contains an entire teaspoon of milk! In my household, the milk would’ve been replaced with coffee whitener mixed with water.

Happy back to school, kids. Those map-colouring skills are going to come in real handy one day. You just wait.

PS - Don't miss next week's post. I'm teaming up with five other food bloggers for "Knoxapocalypse." It's about to get real firm around here. After that, I'll devote the rest of the month to reader recipes. Stay tuned!

2 teaspoons shortening
6 slices bologna about 4 inches across
6 eggs
6 teaspoons milk
salt
pepper
paprika

Heat oven to 375°. Grease 6 muffin cups with some shortening, using pastry brush. Melt 2 teaspoons shortening in skillet over low heat. Place 3 slices bologna in the skillet and fry until the edges curl and the centres puff. Lift each slice with tongs into a muffin cup and press down so the slice fits the cup. Repeat with remaining bologna slices. Break 1 egg into the centre of each bologna slice to hold it down. Pour 1 teaspoon of milk over each egg. Sprinkle eggs lightly with salt, pepper and paprika. Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until eggs are set. Loosen each bologna cup with knife and lift to platter with spoon.


Source: Betty Crocker’s Cookbook for Boys & Girls

13 comments:

  1. Ah, nothing beter than Monday morning, a cup of tea and the caker cooking blog. I think it's extra special that you still have and cook from your first childhood cookbook. I still have mine too. Children of the early 70s may remember The Happy Pixies cookbook. Did anyone else make Ronnie Rooster's sugar toast for that extra sugary fix on a Saturday morning? http://www.amazon.com/The-Happy-Pixies-Cookbook-Play-Time/dp/B000AS49CM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say I remember this cookbook or anyone named Ronnie Rooster. But I used to sprinkle my toast with cinnamon and sugar.

      Delete
  2. Can't say the recipe does much for me, but that is one virtuoso piece of food styling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I mean, that banana is genius. Why haven't I been scooped up by the food editor at Women's Wear Daily?

      Delete
  3. I love the idea of this. When I was a kid, i ate bologna like it was going outta style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could eat bologna 24/7 and it would never go out of style. It's like the little black dress of luncheon meat.

      Delete
    2. Mimi, don't you mean JUMBO?

      Delete
    3. OMG Yes. How could I have made that Faux Pas? JUMBO. From Isaly's.

      Delete
    4. Uh, you two are talking another language here. What's JUMBO?

      Delete
  4. What an awesome recipe! I will definitely try it, but probably with something like Worthington Corned Beef Roll instead of the Bologna - because vegetarian processed meat is much healthier! I love the look of the eggs - almost perfectly poached in... milk. And the paprika is so fancy!

    I think mom used to make something like this with white bread but she called them "One Eyed Sailors." Ahoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I posted a recipe a while back called Easy Brunch Eggs which used white bread instead of bologna. They were real fancy-like. You know, the more I write the word bologna, the more I realize I've been pronouncing it "bah-lone-ee" all these years. But there's no "y" at the end and no "a" after the "b." What's up with that?

      Delete
  5. All this talk about bologna has me craving some sandwich spread (on soft white bread of course). I haven't had it in awhile, but you basically grind up bologna, onion, and pickles in a food processor and stir in some Miracle Whip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're taking me back, Polly. I remember a sandwich spread that was a staple of every church basement luncheon - ground ham with pickles and mayo. I haven't had it for ages. Speaking of bologna, I have a recipe for a bologna roast, but don't know if I can ever bring myself to make it.

      Delete