Tuesday 6 August 2013

French Fry Casserole




This week, I have two MAJOR announcements to make on Caker Cooking.

Number One: I ate a vegetable the other day.

(Okay, that was a lie.)

The real first announcement is that this week's recipe is for a casserole with French fries on top. 'Nuf said.

The second announcement is that the person eating the casserole is a refined caker gentleman wearing a pair of mint green polyester pants, brilliant white oxford shoes and a matching white belt.

That means Mrs. Hunter, proprietor of the fashion blog, Style Forage, selected Jennifer Goodwin's Lawrence Welk-lovin', Manhattan drinkin', polyester pant wearin' mac caker daddy entry as the winner of the Top 5 Caker Fashions contest.


Congrats, Jennifer! You're getting a copy of Grace: A Memoir, courtesy of the good folks at Random House Canada. (Jennifer, email your mailing address to cakercooking at gmail dot com.)

Thanks to Mrs. Hunter and to everyone who posted their caker fashion comments. They inspired me to bring the polyester back into my life. True, polyester can cause some chaffing in these hot summer months, but hey, corn starch is cheap.

Speaking of corn starch, there ain't none in this casserole. But did I mention French fries? Happy eating.

1 pound hamburger
1 can cheddar cheese soup
1 can golden mushroom soup
Frozen French fries

Heat oven to 350°. Place uncooked hamburger in bottom on 9 x 9” pan. Mix the two soups together and put over hamburger. Top with a generous layer of French fries. Bake for 1½ hours.

Source: Favourite Recipes from Skudesnes Lutheran

12 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the instruction "Heave over to 350°." Not sure if that was intentional or not, but given the sodium and fat content of this recipe, "heave over" is pretty accurate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't intentional. I'm making that my favourite typo of all time.

      Delete
  2. Finally got to rifle through my mum's cupboards and dig out her old 'church ladies' cookbook from NZ. First reading shows that NZ had almost no processed food compared to Canada/US, so not strictly caker. Beating your egg whites seemed to be what passed for 'fancy' in Hataitai in 1964. I'll be sending you the recipe for 'Mushroom Fluff'. It's got a tin of mushroom soup in it - I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds fantastic! I've never featured an authentic New Zealand recipe on this blog, so I have some pretty high expectations for Mushroom Fluff. Okay, given this blog, I don't. But you know what I mean.

      Delete
  3. "Lord almighty I feel my cholesterol rising" ( sung to the tune of Elvis' Hunka Burnin' Love). One thing you didn't mention Brian, is how did this French Fry creation taste????? Looks a little like Poutine really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious, of course! And yes, it's like poutine, especially with the cheddar cheese soup. The best part? By putting your meat and fries in one pile, you don't have to reach all the way across your plate to get the fries. So you save yourself from possible arm strain.

      Delete
    2. And it saves carbs! No hamburger bun! This is practically a diet recipe - CakerLowCarb.

      Delete
    3. Throw in a can of TAB and you'll actually BURN calories eating it.

      Delete
  4. All I have to say is, you can heave over to my place and make this for me anytime! Ohmigod this is like something I would dream about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mimi, I've loaded up the ingredients into my heave mobile and will be there soon. Warm up the oven.

      Delete
  5. Tater tot hot dish by any other name....would be Canadian rather than Minnesotan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the name tater tot hot dish. Of course, I like the name of anything that has the word "tater" in it.

      Delete