Tuesday 7 June 2011

Rice Krispies Golf Balls



Cakers tend to be a philosophical bunch. You’ll often catch us sitting under a tree, contemplating the state of humanity, the pillaging of Mother Earth and, more importantly, what’s the best part of a Rice Krispies square – the Krispies or the marshmallow?

When it comes to these golf balls, the marshmallow definitely reigns supreme, especially when it takes a dip in a warm pool of melted toffee, butter and sweetened condensed milk before the Krispies are added.

I brought a batch into the office last week and got glowing reviews. One woman (a non-caker, I might add), asked for the recipe. A couple of days ago, she gave me two golf balls that she had made. It gave me the warm fuzzies. That’s the power of caker cooking, folks.

½ cup sweetened condensed milk
½ cup butter or margarine
3 toffee bars (see note below!)
1 bag large marshmallows
Rice Krispies

Melt toffee bars, milk and butter in a medium sized bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Dip marshmallows into mixture (I used a skewer) and then roll in Rice Krispies. Put on wax paper. Once they cool off a little, you can reshape any that are a little wonky. If the dipping mixture gets too thick, add a little more condensed milk.

A note about toffee: Say goodbye to those fond childhood memories of breaking a Mackintosh toffee bar against the curb or your little brother’s head. Nestle doesn’t make them anymore. They do, however, make bags of individual candies. One 170 gram bag replaces the three bars in the recipe.

Update: Freeze your balls! I forgot to mention that some people prefer their golf balls frozen. Simply place them on a cookie sheet and put in the freezer. After they firm up, place them in a bag or container and keep them in the freezer for a refreshing treat anytime. (And, no. The cold won't shrink your balls.)

Update 2: I just made these again, only I used a bag of soft Werthers candies instead of the Mackintosh candies and they turned out great. Some people felt they tasted even better. 

Source: Favourite Recipes from Skudesnes Lutheran

7 comments:

  1. I am, like, SO totally making these, OMG! Mine are going to be the size of dinner plates though. I think I may make them this weekend even! Where do I get the bags of toffee from, Walmart? (that's Caker, right?) I am still trying to come to terms with the fact that they don't make those Mackintosh bars anymore though. BOO!

    PS: I like the look of your blog. Who made that gorgeous banner? I also love the clean look, without the large photo preview at the top. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can get the bags of toffee anywhere. I got mine at No Frills. Can't get much caker than that. A really talented person designed that banner. I forget her name, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Mac toffee bars are back in canada this year yea!! Walmart, RCWC, Real Canadian Super stores etc. Just to let everyone know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up, Marnee! I'll go stock up.

      Delete
  4. Yummy, Love toffee. Looks like a nice and easy recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom used to make these at Christmas time. Now I make these for my kids and kids. My mom always bought the Holiday Edition Rice Krispies to make them more colourful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee. I'm glad to hear you're keeping the tradition alive. And yes, those artificially-coloured Rice Krispies always add a touch of festivity to the season! Don't forget to try freezing your balls. I think they taste better that way. Happy Holidays!

      Delete