Monday 17 December 2012

Green Bean Casserole




It goes without saying that there’s a pretty big date looming at the end of this week. No, I’m not talking about that Mayan end-of-the-world thing. I’m talking about my annual Caker Christmas party on December 22. (I set it the day after Armageddon just in case.)

This year, I’m doing a “vintage” theme – all the recipes have to come from caker cookbooks from the '50s and '60s. Suffice to say, I think me and the Italians are in for some incredible indigestion gastronomical delights. I’ll post all the deets the following day – provided my sodium-induced edema doesn't get in the way. (I swear, I can't even get my knitted slippers on by the end of the night.)

In the meantime, help yourself to this staple of caker holiday dinners. Green Bean Casserole is so popular, even cakers who don’t know they’re cakers (which, truthfully, is most cakers) make this dish. If you want to ramp up the festivitiness of it, use the French-cut beans with pimento pieces. That way, pieces of green and red shine through the grey sludge like tiny bits of hope. And given the state of the world sometimes, I think we need every scrap of hope we can find.

2 one-pound cans cut green beans, drained (see note)
¼ cup milk
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 ½ cups French Fried onions

Heat oven to 350°. Combine beans, milk, soup, pepper and ¾ of French Fried onions. Pour into 1 ½ quart casserole. Bake, uncovered for 30 minutes. Top with remaining onions and bake 5 minutes longer.

Note: Most people use the French cut beans.


Source: Let's Break Bread Together, The United Churches in Canada

12 comments:

  1. Oh god I love that horrible stuff so freakin' much. Hahaha The gloppiness and yet the crunch. The gray green beans and the gray canned soup. The msg. My god the msg. Nirfreakinvana. (If I weren't currently on a healthy eating plan until Christmas Day itself, I'd consider stalking your party just for the green bean casserole.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Healthy eating plan? I've never heard of that before.

      Delete
    2. Well. Green beans are allowed... sniffle...

      Delete
  2. Mmmmm, one of my favorites! I never even had it probably until I was in my 30's. I don't think my Mom ever made anything with cream of mushroom soup. Clearly, I'm making up for lost time.
    Can't wait to hear about CC! Wish I were invited, but I don't think my Jell-O mold would survive the trip up north. Post lots of pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'll post LOTS of pictures, veg-o-matic. But the Italians will likely make me blur their faces. They don't like photos appearing of them eating (and enjoying) caker food.

      Delete
  3. Another reason I need to move to Canada. You get beans with pimentos in CANS? French Fried Onions - what the fuff are they? They look bloody good wherever they spring from. Jenny (in the UK where we can't get stuff like this).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bet, Jenny. Canned beans with pimento pieces are one of the great things about living in Canada. Well, that and running into Celine Dion at the local grocery store. French Fried Onions are crispy pieces of onions. You can get them in a can. Kind of like fried chow mein noodles.

      Delete
    2. I want to move to Canada, but I need to find a Canadian who wants to marry me. They really tightened up the restrictions on us Gringos.

      Delete
  4. I suppose it is not real Caker, but pseudo-Caker, I actually make this with homemade cream of mushroom soup, fresh green beans, and homemade frizzled onions. But it does taste like the real thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You fancy types with your fresh this and frizzled that.

      Delete
  5. I'm having my mother-in-law for Xmas, and since she's from Northwestern Ontario (home of many Lutheran cookbooks) I think she'd enjoy this. Plus I love anything involving cream of mushroom soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirsty, you'd score major mother-in-law points with this one. Trust me.

      Delete