Monday 3 October 2011

Low Calorie Salad



There was a dark period in caker history (and by “period,” I’m referring to the ‘80s) when cottage cheese was viewed as a dieter’s dream food. Cakers looking to shed a few pounds were gobbling it up (and washing it down with a TAB) in between their Jane Fonda LP workouts and moussing their bangs.

But moderation is everything in life. So while cottage cheese might have been light in calories, it didn’t do much for the waistline when paired with Cool Whip.

Needless to say, this salad doesn’t live up to its name. When I added things up, it came in at a hefty 1843 calories. Time to dust off that leotard. Your session with Jane starts now.

1 small can crushed pineapple
1 small box strawberry JELL-O
1 medium carton cottage cheese
1 large carton of Cool Whip

Bring crushed pineapple and jelly powder to boil. Let cool, then fold in cottage cheese, then Cool Whip. Store in fridge. Serve.

Source: St. Mary’s C.W.L. Grafton Cookbook

3 comments:

  1. I can't help myself.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9YYZ8jktrQ
    Also, you could totally make this diet-friendly: fat free cottage cheese and cool whip, pineapple in its own juice, and sugar-free Jell-O. I wonder how many Weight Watchers points this bad boy would be...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just makes me happy that this is called a salad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yinzerella: Thank you for introducing me to that clip. I can't believe I've been around all these years and never before stumbled upon it. One question: was that a baked potato in John Travolta's shorts?

    Bluerhondda: Salad is such a beautiful word, isn't it? Next time I eat fried chicken, I'm going to refer to it as "salad" just to feel a little bit better.

    ReplyDelete