Monday 13 May 2013

Corn Ring




Well, here we are – week two of Unfortunately Named Caker Recipe Month. This week’s gem features an ingredient that cakers often refer to as “liquid gold.” That's right, I’m talking creamed corn.

Although most cakers don’t like vegetables, we make an exception for creamed corn. Mainly because it has sugar. It’s also less work to chew since the niblets are all soft and mushy. And, being imaginative people, cakers are also fascinated by the shapes creamed corn makes as it spreads across our dinner plates. ("Look, mother! A goat!")

Although it’s unfortunately named (and ugly as a one-eyed toad), Corn Ring is a dish I’d proudly serve to company at Sunday dinner. If I had Sunday dinners. Or company. It’s basically a moist, oat-laden meatloaf wrapped around a steaming hot lake of creamed corn goodness. And who wouldn’t dive right into that?

Now that I stop to think about it, the corn doesn’t make the “ring.” The ground beef does. The corn makes the hole in the centre. So really, this should be called Corn…uh, never mind. I just realized this dish was about to fall into a new category: Really Unfortunately Named Caker Recipes.

1 ½ pounds ground beef
1 cup uncooked Quaker oats
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
¼ cup chopped onion
2 ½ teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1 14 ounce can creamed corn
Combine all ingredients except corn thoroughly. Pack firmly in 1 quart casserole dish. Make a hole in centre and put in corn. Bake at 375° approximately 1 hour. Serves 6.


Source: The Cooking Secrets of First United Church Women, Port Credit, Mississauga

17 comments:

  1. I wonder what other secrets the ladies of Port Credit hold?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. Could we be looking at a Corn Crime Ring? I've contacted the producers of "48 Hours." Watch for the upcoming expose.

      Delete
    2. I'm imagining they probably have some very nifty tips for getting rid of mystery stains from the carpet and lingering odours from the fridge!

      Delete
  2. Hmmm. Not as good as your Bun Spread but then, few things are.

    That's a LOT of oatmeal. On the rare occasions I put oatmeal in my meatloaf, it's more like 1/2 cup to three pounds of meat.

    Bet you could make this in a tube pan and fill the hole with corn after the fact, making, of course, a Caker volcano. Delicious AND educational.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can never have too much oatmeal in a meatloaf, especially if you can't afford the meat part. I like your volcano idea. Drizzle some ketchup along the sides a la molten lava and you've got something you can eat after the science fair.

      Delete
  3. This is one mighty fancy caker recipe! You've outdone yourself, what with the prepared mustard and the diced onions. It wouldn't fly with my sister, who has the perfect caker corn side dish. Simply mix one can corn niblets with one can creamed corn , heat and serve and you've got a fine holiday side dish. Simple is as simple does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh. That onion took me, like, two minutes to chop. Why go through all that bother when you can buy the dehydrated kind? And don't even get me started on how long it took to squirt out the mustard. Your sister sounds like a good cook. Tell her to save a spot for me at the Christmas table.

      Delete
  4. The name of this dish is just wrong, for so many reasons. I'd have to agree with Asparagus Pea that there is something dodgy going on with the good ladies of Port Credit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why is everyone so suspicious of these Port Credit ladies? I mean, how shady can someone be with a can of creamed corn?

      Delete
    2. They allude to their mystery with the title of their cookbook!

      Delete
  5. One of the great sadnesses I have living in the UK is the lack of creamed corn. You have to really hunt around for it here and I LOVE IT. I'm gonna get me some and make me a corn ring forthwith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You go forthwith and make that Corn Ring. Your hunt for creamed corn will only make it taste that much better.

      Delete
  6. Creamed corn? Don't you mean Garmanbozia?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, but I don't understand Latin.

      Delete
    2. http://twinpeaks.wikia.com/wiki/Garmonbozia

      Delete
  7. I would totally eat this. My family moved here from England when I was young and I had discover creamed corn and other Canadian treasures from lunches at friends' houses. I would go home and beg for creamed tuna on toast, creamed corn, and the the like and my mother was horrified. I will note that Spotted Dick was a regular treat in our house, though, so we are not in any way exempt from silly names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know whose idea it was to start creaming all this food. Tuna, corn, spinach, etc. Maybe someone with bad teeth?

      Delete