Monday 20 May 2013

Make Do Squares



It's week three of Unfortunately Named Caker Recipes and I can hardly stand the excitement. This week’s recipe doesn’t have the same visual associations as Bun Spread or Corn Ring, but I think these squares are about as unfortunately named as caker recipes get.

Nothing says “low expectations” more than Make Do Squares. I’m not saying that cakers take a lot of pride in our cooking, but most of us at least put some effort into faking it. Call these squares “Cereal Celebration Crunchies.” Call them “Chocolate Cheerio Squares.” Just don't call them what they are – which is pretty much a brown cube of I-simply-don't-give-a-crap.

If you do make Make Do Squares, avoid bringing them to funerals, bridal showers or anniversary parties. You’ll send a mixed message which will leave people thinking you’re a) mean b) lazy c) suicidal or d) all three. Instead, save them for yourself for those times when you’re tired of making do with your job, your weight or your oppressive, suffocating relationship with Mother.

1/3 pound butter or margarine (see note)
12 ounce package chocolate or butterscotch chips
1 cup peanut butter
8 ounce package walnuts
1 bag miniature marshmallows or 3 to 4 cups of your favourite cereal (ie Captain Crunch, Cheerios)

Melt the butter, chips and peanut butter over medium heat. Add vanilla and remaining ingredients. Press into buttered 8 x 12 pan. Cool. Cut into squares.

Note: I screwed up the recipe and accidentally used 2/3 pounds of butter. They turned out a little, er, slick. But that's okay. I made did with them.


Source: Simply Delicious! A Collection of our Favourite Recipes, The United Way of Leeds and Grenville

11 comments:

  1. These look pretty good, actually. I'll never make them, though, because A) I don't know how to measure out 1/3 pound of margarine and B) I don't have an 8 X 12 pan.
    Bet they tasted really good with double the butter. Keep that defibrillator handy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know how to measure a 1/3 pound, either. Which is why I ended up using 2/3. I've never been good at fractions. That old Ivory Snow 99 44/100% pure slogan used to give me such a headache.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I do my best to keep math out of the kitchen.

      Delete
  2. Yummy those look good! But take a walk or something after you eat those. This is a similar recipe to what we called "Stain Glass Window cookies" - colored marshmallows instead of the Cheerios, slice up and you have a... uh... hunk of rainbow-y goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to make those sometime. I found a recipe just the other day for them, only they were called "Church Windows." They sound happier than Make Do Squares.

      Delete
  3. You say "add vanilla and remaining ingredients" but the recipe doesn't call for vanilla. Confused...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good catch! I think I noticed that when I was making them but forgot to point it out. Since vanilla wasn't listed in the ingredients, I'd suggest a teaspoon. If you don't have vanilla on hand, you could "make do" without it.

      Delete
    2. I made this and they're good enough, I just didn't care for the imprecision of the recipe. A bag of marshmallows for example is very sujective, as they come in different sizes. I need rules. What next, birds flying north for winter? Things falling up?

      Delete
    3. The only rule when it comes to caker cooking is that there are no rules. A handful of marshmallows here, a glop of peanut butter there. It all works out in the end. Sort of.

      Delete
  4. Call these Heavenly Hash squares (cuz they sound heavenly) or Emperor's Confections (because they're fit for an emperor)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Emperor's Confections. With a name like that, they'll be a hit at the next church bake sale.

      Delete