Monday 16 January 2012

Mexican Rice Salad



If there's one place you'll always find a caker, it's a bar – a salad bar.

I don't know when the love affair between cakers and salad dressing began, but let's just say it's been a hot and creamy one ever since.

Consider the cornucopia of flavours available to us: Thousand Island, French, Italian, Ranch, and, of course, the seductive sweet/sour tang of Catalina.

Speaking of Catalina, here's a recipe that takes it from the salad bar and into the heart of Mexican cuisine. OK, maybe not the "heart." More like the pinkie toe.

2 cups cooked rice (cooled)
1 green pepper
1 small onion
2 tomatoes, chopped
½ cup sliced, stuffed olives
½ bottle Catalina salad dressing

Mix chopped vegetables. Add rice, then dressing. Mix well.


Source: This recipe book doesn't have a cover, but I think it's a collection from Eaton’s employees. And can I just say how much I miss Eaton's?

2 comments:

  1. This is right up my alley. Although I would add cheese. Lots and lots of cheese. Droooool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it's marble cheddar. It's very popular in Mexican cooking.

    ReplyDelete