Monday 20 February 2012

Hello Dollies



When you think of epic romances, a number of couples come to mind: Romeo and Juliet, Liz and Dick, Kim Kardashian and Kim Kardashian. But no duo comes close to the red hot flame shared between cakers and Hello Dollies squares.

Give us some graham cracker crumbs, a bag of chocolate chips, a handful of shredded coconut and a 9”x13” pan, and you’ll see passion that makes Paula Deen’s love for taters seem like small potatoes.

A commenter recently asked if I had a good Hello Dollies recipe. I have several, including the one featured below. Grab your walnuts and melted margarine, dim the lights and put on the Kenny G. It’s time to make some caker lovin'.

1 cup graham crumbs
1/4 cup melted margarine
Mix and put in a 9”x13” pan (see note)

Layer:
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup coconut
1 cup walnuts or peanuts
1 cup cherries (optional)

Pour 1 can Eagle Brand milk over all. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes until lightly browned.

Note: I like ‘em thick, so I made mine in a 8”x8” pan and baked for about 5 minutes longer. I also put the pan under the broiler for a few minutes to get the top nice and golden. Oh, yeah.

Source: From the Lakeshore Ladies Kitchens

4 comments:

  1. This looks delicious but I was really hoping for something gluten/soy/corn/dairy/sugar/fruit/egg free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just the recipe for special people like you. They're called Air Squares.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Lakeshore Ladies are sure to not disappoint. These are definitely on my "to-bake" list, even though I'm reminded of my aunt's old fridge magnet that reminded you that all it took was "a moment on the lips, forever on the hips". Thanks for the recipe!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane, I think the Lakeshore Ladies would tell your aunt to take that fridge magnet and stick it in the garbage.

    ReplyDelete