Monday 29 April 2013

Black Forest Squares



Ever since whatshisname with the wig and wooden false teeth chopped down his cherry tree, cakers have had a love affair with cherries, especially when they come in a can of gloopy, varnishy pie filling. Just consider some of the recipes I've already featured: Dump Cake, Coca Cola Salad and Easy Peasy Cherry Pie.

Cakers’ love of cherries explains why Black Forest cake is probably one of our favourites, especially when it comes from the grocery store under a plastic dome with an orange “Reduced for Quick Sale” sticker slapped on the side. Mmm. Can’t you just taste those disintegrating mountains of whipped cream and chocolately shavings now? Someone get me $4.99 and a fork!

Unlike the cake, these Black Forest Squares (although they're more cakeish than squareish) put the cherry pie filling into the batter. The result? Pretty much the dampest cake you’ll ever come across. And who doesn’t like damp? Unless, of course, it’s gym socks, your cellar or the back of your thighs on a July day while sitting on the vinyl-covered seat of a Chevette, wondering if Mother is ever going to come out of the bingo hall.

1 chocolate cake mix
2 eggs
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 can cherry pie filling
1 container chocolate icing

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In bowl, mix first 4 ingredients together until well blended. Pour mixture into greased 10x15 inch pan (see note) and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove, let cool and ice with chocolate icing.

Note: 10x15? Who has a 10x15 pan? I used a 9x13 instead.


Source: Royal Recipes For the Love of Tiny Hearts, Children’s Hospital Foundation, Eastern Ontario and Western Quebec


HEY! May marks the TWO-YEAR anniversary of Caker Cooking! I’ve got a month-long special in the works that you won’t want to miss, so check back next week for all cakery good times.

18 comments:

  1. Now this I could get behind. Really love that chocolate/cherry combo. I think I'd drain off most of the red goo from the cherries first, though. I don't know about pie filling Up There, but Down Here it's about 90% goo and 10% fruit.
    Do they even MAKE a 10 X 15 pan??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's about 90% goo here in Canada, as well. Bear in mind that the goo is what makes the squares moist, so don't let the goo go. (I can honestly say I've never used the word "goo" more times in my entire life as I did in those two sentences.)

      Delete
  2. Whoopsie--slmost forgot:

    Happy Anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Let's just say the anniversary is going to involve the colour pink, some cocktail shrimp and something you smear on your buns.

      Delete
    2. I'd guess "Crisco", but I think that might be considered tacky.

      Delete
  3. I used to work at the Voyager Restaurant on Highway 17th North....very north I might add. Cherry pie was a customer favourite. It used to come in 20lb plastic buckets. When first opened it looked at bit like a nasty murder had taken place! Just think of the squares you could make with that amount of pie filling. Happy Anniversary!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you've certainly come a long way, Melanie. And I bet you make a mean cherry pie.

      Delete
  4. I've made this recipe many times over. Deliciously gooey by the way! I find it works really well when made in cupcake form. A hearty dessert that fits right in your hand. No cutting of gooey cake required, and each piece stays very moist nestled in its own cupcake wrapper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! Any piece of cake that doesn't require the extra time to cut means it gets into my stomach that much faster.

      Delete
  5. Jelly roll pans are 10x15, might make these more like squares than cake? Happy anniversary! Drinking some pink grapefruit pop from a wine glass to celebrate with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, I think you've solved the mystery. I never even considered a jelly roll pan. Now, of course, I'll have to try these again to see if they turn out more like squares. Thanks for the anniversary wishes. My wine glass will be plastic. Of course.

      Delete
  6. Brian-your icing looks so joyful! I think these recipes should thank you for your food styling abilities!

    This cake reminds me of just about every recipe in TheCake Mix Doctor cookbooks. Strange ingredients... Delicious cakes! (Incredible Melted Ice Cream Cake, anyone?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie, I wish I could take credit for that joyful icing, but it's all Duncan Hines. I will, however, take credit for that chocolate peak.
      Hmm. Melted ice cream cake. I haven't heard of that one before, but now I'm intrigued...

      Delete
    2. I believe it is as follows:

      1 cake mix
      2 cups melted ice cream
      3 eggs

      Beat together and bake per package instructions.

      The opportunities are endless!!!! Devils food and chocolate chip cookie dough? White cake and butter pecan? Spice and rum raisin? Chocolate and.... CHERRY GARCIA?? Oh yeah, baby. Yeah.

      Delete
    3. Wow. I have never ever come across this recipe before. And the options sound amazing. I'm definitely giving this one a try.

      Delete
  7. Yum. I am really looking forward to anniversary month! Really. Like more than a normal person should look forward to something. Congrats on 2 years, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mimi! And just so you're warned...a certain pink thing will be making its appearance on this blog very soon. More details to come.

      Delete
    2. The Pink Thing recipe card you sent me sits on permanent display in my kitchen among my favorite Retro WW recioe cards - I look at it daily and remember the delicious pink goo.

      Delete